Welcome to Hancock County, Indiana! Come explore our heritage, be a time traveler, immerse yourself in a sea of green and enjoy the celebration of the great outdoors.
Come discover a rich heritage and industrious beginnings which have created a diverse community with a unique blend of historic charm and modern convenience. And the future looks even brighter with new developments and the continued restoration of historic landmarks. So make plans to visit Hancock County. You’re always welcome in the Hoosier Heart of the Crossroads!
Greenfield and Hancock County
Greenfield and Hancock County offer a unique mix of history, quality education, arts and economic opportunity. Hancock County is 20 minutes from downtown Indianapolis, where world-class sporting events, restaurants, shopping and cultural amenities abound.
A visit to Downtown Greenfield will lift your spirits as you walk down the same path Hoosier poet James Whitcomb Riley traveled. Antiques shops, museums, a live performance theater, restaurants and retail shops offer plenty to keep your family busy. Entertainment on the Plaza is offered each Friday during the summer. The Riley Festival, one of the largest festivals in Indiana, fills the downtown area with visitors from all over the country. The Christmas Festival will give you an opportunity to enjoy the holidays with your family and get a head start on your shopping list.
Living in Hancock County
Quality lodgings, low crime rates, outstanding medical facilities, golfing opportunities, parks and recreation areas, several museums, antiques and collectibles, modern shopping areas, lighter traffic patterns and less-than-30-minute proximity to downtown Indianapolis via I-70 are only some of the benefits Hancock County has to offer.
• Greenfield-Central Community School Corporation
• Community School Corporation of Southern Hancock County
• Eastern Hancock Community School Corporation
• Mt. Vernon Community School Corporation
Hancock Health is a full-service community hospital with a focus on primary care, patient comfort and convenience. Hancock health offers private rooms and a highly skilled medical and professional nursing staff as well as a state-of-the-art surgery department, 24-hour emergency services, OB services, progressive and critical care, gero-psych unit, home healthcare, occupational health, a transitional care unit, a total oncology program including a state-of-the-art radiation oncology center and a full compliment of inpatient and outpatient services that are competitively priced.
Chiropractic, mental health, vision, dental and other medical services are available throughout the community. For a proactive approach to health, check out the Hancock Wellness Center.
The Hancock County Health Department works to provide information and services dealing with environmental health, vital records, septic systems and immunizations, to name a few. You may contact the Health Department.
Whatever your health concerns may be, Hancock County is prepared to take care of you!
Hancock County is an ideal location to move a current business or start up your dream business. Strategically located along the I-70 corridor, Hancock County provides convenient access to major transportation corridors serving 75% of the nation’s population.
Greenfield is located in Hancock County, just east of Indianapolis and is an ideal place to visit. Experience all that we have to offer with our parks, museums, and theaters. Don’t miss an opportunity to see live performances at the newly renovated H.J. Ricks theater. Hoosier poet James Whitcomb Riley was born in Greenfield and wrote over 1,000 poems, including “Little Orphant Annie.” Visitors can walk through his historic home located just west of Downtown Greenfield.
Other things to see and do include:
- Air Show – Mt. Comfort Air Show
- Antique shops
- Concert – Summer Concerts on the Plaza in Greenfield
- Fair – Hancock County 4-H Fair
- Festival – Christmas Festival in Greenfield
- Festival – Fall Festival in McCordsville
- Festival – New Palestine Fall Festival
- Festival – Pennsy Art Fair
- Festival – Riley Festival in October
- Festival – Shirley Founder’s Days
- Festival – Strawberry Festival in Greenfield
- Festival – Will Vawter’s Art Festival
- Golf Courses & Driving Ranges
- Hancock County Courthouse
- Historic District in Greenfield
- Historic Railroad Station in Shirley
- Kingen/Pulliam Round Barn
- Museum – Old Log Jail
- Museum – Riley Birthplace & Museum
- Museum – Toy/Doll Collection in Fortville
- Old National Road
- Park – Riley Park in Greenfield
- Parks – Pennsy Trail in Greenfield
- The Eli Lilly Facility in Greenfield
- The July 4th Celebration in New Palestine
- The July 4th Fireworks in Greenfield
Visit these sites for more information: